Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Sowing seeds.

We started our indoor sowing.  We planted the tomatoes, peppers, cantaloupe, cauliflower, broccoli, brussels sprouts and artichokes.

The tomatoes sprouted first followed by the cauliflower/broccoli/brussels sprouts.

This is what the sprouts looked like a week after planting.



LESSON LEARNED - when I set up the plants, I only had a florescent desk lamp to put over them.  I also placed it way too high.  I learned later that you should use certain kinds of florescents (I now use one that is labeled for plants) and with seedlings you need to put the light right down near the plant.  Otherwise, the plants get really leggy (this is the problem I now have with my cauliflower/brussels/broccoli).

After the first week or so, I rigged a new shop light under a card table (I didn't want to pay for a special light rack).  This is what the new rig looked like and what the sprouts looked like after 2 weeks:

No comments: